CONTEST DETAILS - DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MAY 1st!
Looking for a fun opportunity to keep your creative juices flowing while on a break from school? We want YOU to be a part of the fun, creative and inspiring process of creating books. You’re invited to explore new regions and activate your creativity in Open Hearts Big Dreams 1st Annual #ReadySetGo Books Art Contest.
Our challenge to kids and youth of all ages is to explore the wonder of Ethiopia and share with us what you found interesting through a short essay and a piece of original art. One lucky winner will have the chance to see their art used as illustrations in an upcoming book. Imagine your art being in the hands of Ethiopian youth just learning how to read.
See our contest flyer for full details.
One (1) winner will be selected to receive your choice of 4 books from our Ready Set Go Books collection and a $25 Amazon gift card. But that’s not all! The winner will have THEIR ART published in an upcoming Ready Set Go book and their paragraph included in that book’s back cover!!
All submissions will be considered for publication in future books so there could be lots of published artists from of this effort.
HOW IT WORKS
- Spend time researching Ethiopia, the birthplace of humanity, online, in books, or talking with others knowledgeable on the country.
- Pick something about Ethiopia that you found most interesting in your research.
- On a standard size 8.5 x 11 piece of paper, create a picture representing your topic. Any art medium can be used - crayons, marker, paint, watercolors, tissue paper creations, construction paper, or collage.
- Along with your picture, provide 1-2 sentences about why you picked that topic and a write a simple paragraph telling us what you learned.
- See submission form for details.
HOW TO ENTER
- Download a copy of the contest submission form HERE
- Complete all fields. In addition, participants will need to provide:
- 1-2 sentences about why they picked their selected topic
- Write a simple paragraph telling us what you learned (5-7 sentences)
- Mail artwork and completed submission form to: Kate Bare, 8624 Warren Drive NW, Gig Harbor, WA 98335
- All entries must be received by May 1st
We rely on our two main fundraising events to support our ongoing priorities: our annual Sips & Songs for Literacy in late Spring and our gala dinner & auction in early Winter.
Our spring event, Sips & Songs for Literacy on June 13, 2020 from 7:00-10:30 pm at EFESTĒ Winery in Woodinville has been CANCELLED due to pandemic safety measures. We hope to resume this crowd pleasing fundraiser in Spring 2020.
If you planned to attend this year and would still like to support OHBD at this time, please click here to give. Thank you so much for your open hearts making big dreams possible!
HOLD THE DATE: OHBD Gala - Saturday, November 7, 2020
This is our largest event of the year which has raised over $600,000 since 2011. This event is a celebration of Ethiopian culture, art, cuisine and dance. Often a number of our authors and illustrators of Ready Set Go Team books join the team to show off the latest titles and talk through the latest plans for the following year. We have silent, live, and dessert auctions with a plated Ethiopian dinner. We also have live entertainment and attract a diverse cross section of guests from around the area and the country. This year's gala location is being selected and will be published shortly!
Not sure how to help? Don’t have a lot of time? Don’t live in the area? We have many opportunities to get involved.