We couldn’t achieve our mission without our amazing volunteers.
Yeggy Michael, Artist Volunteer and Designer of our Logo, http://www.yeggystudio.com/
My vision is to provoke questions about natural cycles, provide a sense of place and to reflect on the movement of time. My paintings, I consider personal works though they are for others. They are positive contacts for vibrant thoughts and spiritual moment. I use mosaic to illustrate the unity and lusciousness of diversity. While the use of mosaic creates a metaphor for these cycles with pieces and rocks in fragments. My mosaics are public art .
In order to provide a sense of place for my audience to connect with, as a professional artist I reinterpret the abstract and reality of the cyclical nature of things. I integrate my green approach to art with growing a design solution as part of a team. I integrate architectural structures and mosaic works, using recycled stone, glass, aluminum, and ceramic with ease. Sharing my work with spaces of infrastructure is the synthesis of a long-term relationship, and embedded in it will be this very moment in history that prolongs its memory in our minds.
Thanks to all the volunteers who regularly help
from these local schools and organizations
Here are our current Event needs:
Don’t think you have anything maybe these ideas will help you
- Ask friends, ones with business, artists or crafters, or ones with vacation or second home, ones with season tickets, connections to local business.
- Ask Businesses – restaurants, retailers, services providers that you frequent. If not local, solicit national chains. They often want to support their customers and we can offer good pub in return.
- Clean out your closet and garage – see if there are items with tags you don’t need, or gifts that weren’t really you but you don’t have the heart to give away – could be silent, live auction items, display or decoration help.
- Go to Garage or Estate sales and look for new or vintage items.
- If you shop, look at outlet malls, off price retailers or eBay for deals on uniquely wonderful items for the silent/live auctions
- Check for Gift Cards you might not want to use but would be happy to donate to support the cause.
- Bake or donate a dessert for the dessert auction.
- Donate or lend display or decorations items –wine racks, cake plates, mannequin, table stands, flowers.
Ask businesses you know might be willing to be sponsors. They could give as little as $25-50 dollars, and we recognize them in our marketing materials
- Be a table captain and bring 8 people if you are local/have local connections.
- Invite a friend or more to attend with you.
We need volunteers to reach out to Media organizations interested in East Africa to share our efforts with Ready Set Go books and our Model Programs.
We need support with social media. Creating your own posts about our books and projects or sharing and amplifying existing social media efforts within your network.
With your support, we will empower more kids to create a better tomorrow. People like you make a tremendous difference in the lives of girls and boys across Ethiopia.
We also welcome and support personal Facebook fundraising for special event and are constantly testing new events. https://www.facebook.com/pg/OpenHeartsBigDreams.org/fundraisers/?ref=page_internal
Share updates and requests with your network – work, social, media, church, neighborhood or other.
Suggest a donation – any amount is helpful, $2 buys two books.
We also welcome ideas for smaller on on-line events that a volunteer would like to run themselves with our support. Facebook fundraisers for a birthday or special occasion are a great way to have a big impact.
Here are our current Ready Set Go (Book Project) needs:
We need art to make these stories come to life.
Artists are welcome to work with kids to create the art. Our designers will help create the book from what you produce.
Are you a native speakers of any of the 3 core languages:
- Afaan Oromo
Can you provide a quick review: to proofread (making sure punctuation hasn’t been inadvertently left out, for example) and to make sure that text is placed correctly into the books.
Need to be familiar with email, PDFs and DropBox.
We are looking for schools, churches or other organizations that want to sponsor book creation including raising funds, choosing the stories, creating the art and directing where they would like books to be first distributed.
We need volunteers to do outreach to schools and libraries in the US to carry our Ready Set Go Books. Seattle Public Library is carrying all our books and has a standing order for new ones quarterly. We know kids in the US would enjoy our books and each book sold funds multiple books printed and distributed in Ethiopia.
We need grant writers to solicit funds from organizations focused on literacy in Ethiopia.